What is telemedicine? Telemedicine refers to the practice of caring for patients remotely. It is the use of information and telecommunication technologies to provide care when a doctor and patient are not in the same room at the same time.
Telemedicine & Nigeria
With a population of over 200 million, the doctor-to-patient ratio in Nigeria remains 1:5000 (that is a doctor to 5000 patients) as against the World Health Organization recommendation of 1:600. This shows why the Nigerian healthcare system is in a dilapidated state, as the healthcare system is being overstretched.
In recent times, the emergence of the coronavirus has further led to hospitals limiting patients visits, in a bid to protect both doctors and patients from the virus and further curtail the spread of the virus. Although the measure is justifiable, it has left a large number of people without adequate access to healthcare.
This has shown that the need for telemedicine in Nigeria is at an all time high. Applications such as Carekojo have made it possible to; reduce waiting time at the hospital, order medications and also easily locate the hospitals closest to you from the convenience of your home.
Benefits of telemedicine
- Saves time: booking an appointment online saves you the stress of having to wait in a long que at the hospital to do such.
- Saves cost: the cost of transporting oneself to the hospital is also reduced.
- Reduced risk: visiting the hospital less, reduces the risk of coming in contact with patients or health workers that have infectious diseases.
- Fast, effective and convenient: telemedicine provides a fast and convenient way of booking appointments, having online consultations and ordering medication.
- Only accredited healthcare providers are listed. No encounters with frauds!
- The app is simple to use.
- Your personal data is secure.
Carekojo is available on the google play store. Visit this link to download the Carekojo mobile app today.
THINK TELEMEDICINE, THINK CAREKOJO!