MedInstance is a hosting platform that offers users a way to rapidly set up and run electronic medical record (EMR) systems. It integrates all the necessary components including customizable dashboards, scorecards, patient records, reminders, and alerts in one place. The interface and software were built specifically for this purpose so that users won’t have to reinvent the wheel when setting up and maintaining EMR systems.
What is an EMR system?
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality defines an electronic medical record system as an electronic record of health-related information on an individual that can be created, gathered, managed, and consulted by authorized clinicians and staff within one health care organization. It supports other clinical documents such as prescription orders and request-for-service forms that can be viewed and printed upon a patient’s request. It also makes it possible for clinicians to use a common set of tools to access information about patients throughout an organization as well as to support care at various levels – primary care physicians (PCP), specialists, and patients themselves – during office visits.
Electronic Medical Records (EMRs) have rapidly become the standard for health care practices because of their aim to provide more customer-oriented services which cannot be achieved without timely access to high-quality information (Haleh et al, 2011).
Before EMRs, paper-based records which have a lot of limitations were in use. One of the limitations is that required data or information can not be readily accessible at the point of need (Haleh et al, 2011). Meanwhile, in an EMR system, records and information are constantly being updated and saved to create a complete record of a patient’s medical history. This ensures that a patient’s personal information is protected by law and easily accessible while keeping a clear digital trace of all patient interactions.
An example of an EMR system is Smartacare – an electronic medical record system that enables efficient healthcare delivery through the digitization of healthcare processes.
Features of an EMR system
According to the agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, a standard EMR system should contain the following features:
- Physician access to patient information, such as diagnoses, allergies, lab results, and medications.
- Access to new and past test results among providers in multiple care settings.
- Computerized provider order entry.
- Computerized decision-support systems to prevent drug interactions and improve compliance with best practices.
- Secure electronic communication among providers and patients.
- Patient access to health records, disease management tools, and health information resources.
- Computerized administration processes, such as scheduling systems.
- Standards-based electronic data storage and reporting for patient safety and disease surveillance efforts.
However, the process of creating and using EMRs is not an easy job, often because of the lack of technical know-how, lack of data security, and lack of human resources for round-the-clock monitoring.
To solve the above challenges, eHealth4everyone developed MedInstance to be a fully automated platform that instantly sets up and hosts an EMR system without external help. In addition, MedInstance comes with the following amazing features:
- Data security and encryption,
- Continuous backups,
- Round-the-clock system monitoring, and
- Hosting of multiple servers on one account.
The availability of all these features makes MedInstance the ideal set-up and hosting platform for your EMR system.