What is a VR Hackathon?
A hackathon is a social coding event that brings computer programmers and other interested people together to improve upon or build a new software program. This hackathon is focused on Virtual reality, and it is about neonatal resuscitation.
"XR FOR NEWBORN RESUSCITATION"
Premature delivery or failure to breathe at birth are the leading causes of newborn deaths which is about 2.4 million each year. Training in how to help the baby who does not breathe includes drying and stimulating the baby, suctioning the mouth and providing bag and mask ventilation, has been effective in saving many newborn lives. Premature babies also require special care for warmth and feeding. Unfortunately, there are barriers to the effective implementation of these training programs in low resource settings, which have been worsened by challenges with data collection on skills performance and outcomes.
Computer-generated simulations or scenarios are an innovative method to train healthcare workers, and to allow for practice, with standardized feedback, even when an instructor is unavailable. These simulations can be accessed on mobile devices, commonly available in many areas that also have high rates of newborn deaths. Using virtual and augmented reality devices, including mobile phone based virtual and augmented reality, can support learners to access training conveniently on a device when simulation manikins and instructors are not available. Another advantage of XR training can be the use of automatic feedback. Utilizing these emerging technologies can support healthcare workers in learning and maintaining their skills, thereby saving newborn lives
Selection Stage: After registration, the first 2 days will be used to select the team members that will form the groups.
Briefing Stage: The next 2 days will be used to brief the selected team members on the expected output of the hackathon.
Building Stage: After the briefing stage, the next 2 days would be used by the selected team members to build the application. After this, winners will be announced and prizes distributed at all levels and the VR Hackathon 2022 will come to an official close.Requirements:
- All codes will be open source and posted on github No copyright
- Articles stating experience (feedback optional)
- Ideas will be pitched after completion
- Unity/VR (Unity) Developers
- Backend Developers
- 3D modelers
- September 7th: Registration will commence and is open to everyone.
- October 11th: Grouping of teams for the hackathon.
- October 13th: Onboarding for individuals on the hackathon.
- October 14th -16th: The Hackathon weekend.
Lagos event: Microsoft office
Abuja event: eHealth4everyone office
Hackathons come with benefits, and we’ve got some for you;
- A cash prize of 400,000 Naira for the winning team.
- A cash prize of 200,000 Naira for the first runner-up.
- A cash prize of 100,000 Naira for the second runner-up.
- Mentorship and Certificates
- Other Runners-up get consolation prizes
We are super excited about this Hackathon and hope to see what you build. Are you up to the challenge?